This iteration we decided to do a usability test on our dashboard. The main goals we wanted to find out was the accessibility of the app and a check on the existing or missing content. The most important feedback we’ve gained was the atmosphere, which was kind of depressing, of the app and the userflow wasn’t self-evident. Users were led to wrong directions, because of unnecessary choices of functionalities that have been designed in the app. For example, the main goal of the app wasn’t focused on answering a question about your sensory overload. All results can be found under the results of the testplan.
Create a flowchart to find out what the right userflow needs to be.
Wout and I analyzed the gained feedback and started to write out what we really wanted with the app. Since that was clear, we imagined step by step what fase we were at in the app. From beginning, the detection of sensory overload and getting a question on screen to be answered. To the end, the answered question being followed up by a dynamic solution.
The flowchart gave a clear view on how the app should be designed. To check the result, click the button below.
Well, let’s start with a flowchart before we’re designing. It’s way more clear not for the designers, but for every groupmember it’s a relieve to see what needs to be done in the app. It just gets everybody on the same page. Definitely lesson learned that it’s a great tool to help you designing an application.