Iteration 1

ITERATION 1

The minor User Experience & Digital Society (UXDS) has started. In the first week we have been told what problem we’re going to tackle. It became clear that our client will be Acknowledge Health Innovation. They wanted us to find and create an ICT related solution on sensory overload in offices.

STARR-METHOD

Situation

For the minor UXDS our head task will be finding a solution on sensory overload.

Task

Find and create a preventing or overcoming solution on sensory overload within an office.

Action

To get to a fitting answer to the big question mentioned above, I’m taking classes in Human Centered Design, Value Proposition Design, Critical Design, Story Creation and Intercultural Communications.

The first step I took was a desk research to dig deeper in the background of Acknowledge and what sensory overload actually is. I focused mainly on how to prevent, how to cope and how to recognize sensory overload. Knowing that there’s a meeting arranged in a week, I made up questions about the company itself and their experience with sensory overload.

The day after the meeting we shared our findings on sensory overload. From here, we got our insights on the problem and made up interview questions to ask to an expert and the target group.

At the VPD class, we filled in a Value Proposition Canvas to get clear what the client’s needs really are. The next step was a brainstorming session on solutions to sensory overload. To have a better session, we set up ‘How might we’ questions. Hanna gave us advice to talk to experts on measuring your body. From there on, we started working out our concept and creating a prototype.

Our first demo consists of three steps. The measurement, the dynamic ‘warning’ and the solution. I focused my work on the dashboard (dynamic warning) and product designs.

Result

We completed our first customer journey from the beginning (measuring) to the end (solution). This is fully exposed in the first demo when Acknowledge came by. For more information about the demo, follow this link.

Reflection

The first iteration went not bad, because there’s a lot to improve. In the beginning, we were a group of six. But later on, there were two new people added to our group. In my opinion, working together with eight people on one project can get difficult. Until now, it worked out okay, but for the upcoming weeks we definitely need more communication. We need to keep each other in touch on what we’re doing. I think it’s must to get everybody on the same page. I’d recommend a great visual planning somewhere on the wall, e.g. scrum. I’m convinced that this will work out better and positively effects the end result.